Law Offices of
Paul F. Fortunato
What is a Durable General Power of Attorney?

This is a legal document that allows you to name a person
to handle your affairs if you become incapacitated and are
no longer able to do these things.  It is the most important
legal document that every adult should have.
Couldn't my spouse or another family member just handle my affairs?

.  No other person, including your spouse, has the legal right to act on your
behalf.  No one else has the authority to sign checks, sign and file tax returns, deal
with banks, or handle many other matters.

What happens if I do not have a Durable General Power of Attorney and I
become incapacitated?

Someone must go to Probate Court and file a Petition for Legal Guardianship.  
This is very expensive and time consuming.  It must also be published in the local
newspaper that you are incompetent.  You would, in effect, become a ward of the
court and you would have no control over whom the court appoints to handle all of
your affairs.
Planning is
Law Office of Paul F. Fortunato
Tewksbury: 978-851-3242
Fax: 888-889-6672